What you need to know about Google's search
How does Google rank your site?
Google is a complex engine that indexes websites by crawling from site to site through external links. From there it spins a web of millions of web pages that it memorises to bring up whenever you ask Google a question.
If you're search terms are for "Web Design Brisbane", then Google will work through various methods to give millions of results in under a minute. Those results are dependant on how relative your websites content is to the search terms and how well your site scores with others.
How does Google use your key words to find results?
When you search Google, it will use those key words to give you the best results. Those results are reliant on a few things:
- How many times does the page mention the key words and phrases?
- Do these words appear in the title?
- Do these words appear in the URL?
- Does the page contain synonyms for those words?
Good digital copy writing is the the key to better Google Search Results.
How can I optimise my content even more?
Search Engine Optimisation, or SEO is optimising your content or website to improve the score of your website by search engines (Google). The higher the score, the higher your results will rank in Google. There are many techniques to help increase your websites ranking, but do them wrong or mislead Google and you could lower the score. Some things that can cause this include:
- Containing too many synonyms in one section
- Hiding a wall of keywords in your content
- Having too many suspicious links to and from your web page
- The web page having ads or too many automatic pop-ups
These techniques are considered spam like and will drop your website or page score, thus dropping your rank in the Google searches results, no matter how relative your content may be.
Using some of those search optimisations in moderation can have a positive effect on your website score among other, safer options, try:
- Linking all your social media sites and posts to the website,
- Have a higher quality website platform...checkout our latest technologies ;)
- Taking control of your Google Business Listing and adding all your business information
- Updating your content regularly, Google notices this change and likes how up-to-date the content is
- Setting up a website blog, with your latest projects, news and events
- Don't forget to mention, who, what, when, where, why, how and key words/phrases/locations
How long will my new site take to rank better?
Google has a big job; to remember the internet to give everyone the best results for any question. So to ensure your site is worth the first page, Google can take anywhere from 3-6 months for a brand new domain. This allows time for Google to sandbox your site while it builds up trust and verifies your content is legitimate, not spammy, secure and scoring well against others.
A domain that has been around a lot longer with an old website has a legacy with Google rankings, so it will rank great to start with, and if the score is good and content is relevant, will climb even higher.
We have many handy, helpful website tips and tricks here at Clear Pixel. If you're looking for change, don't be afraid to give us a call to see what we can do for you.